Monday, September 21, 2009

Needing some God advice

I know I'm starting to sound like a broken record--but I REALLY hate being single! I think this article hit me on the head (http://www.boundless.org/2005/articles/a0002123.cfm) especially the following statement

many singles struggle profoundly with loneliness, lust, fornication, and the like, and welcome (or should welcome) loving, gracious, and balanced input on the process toward marriage from Christians who care about their souls and their bodies
Okay...so I don't struggle with lust or fornication (and seriously who uses that type of language when addressing the contemporary generation?), but I do struggle with loneliness. I had a pretty good handle on my loneliness when I was in Oxford and plugged into a solid ministry and Sunday school class. But here, I just feel left out. I thought by this time I'd be settled into a church, joining a Sunday school class or small group, getting involved in a ministry, etc. But I'm not. I partly blame this on my school schedule, but I know most of the blame lies with me. I want to be involved, I really do. I just don't have the time and I'm at an awkward stage. I don't really fit in the "college" ministry, but then again most churches are hesitant to let me join in the "singles" ministry when I mention anything related to school!! It's so frustrating!!

Another part of the article that got me was this one:

Only with regard to getting married do we sometimes ignore or overlook our responsibility to act. We all know that we don't get college degrees by "waiting on the Lord." We generally don't get jobs that way either: "Unemployed? Just be content and He'll provide." We don't even get dinner that way. "You want a hamburger? Be careful not to idolize beef."
I know I need to act, but here's the problem. Every guy I meet is shallow. They are not willing to look past the outside. I get that I'm not the most gorgeous, the skinniest, or the most fashionable, but once you get to know me I'm a pretty great gal. I think it's just stupid that society places so much emphasis on outer beauty without looking on the inside.

Okay...so I feel a BIT better, but I'm still in a funky mood about this.

No comments:

Post a Comment