Monday, August 10, 2009

Julie and Julia--Inspiration for anyone

I love to cook. I come from a long line of women who LOVE to cook. My mom's grandmother, both my grandmas, my mom, my aunt...pretty much the cooking gene runs in the family. So naturally, when I saw a movie about the life of the most famous woman in cooking (and no not my idol, Paula Deen), I knew I had to see it.

I grew up hanging around mom's feet as she cooked in our kitchen in the old house. I can remember Christmases when Mom, Dad, and I would be COVERED in flour from a flour fight while we were making HOMEMADE Christmas cookies and cakes. I remember my Momma Rosie's kitchen whenever it was a holiday, filled to the brim with the most delectable scents of homemade dressing and pies and vegetables and casseroles--enough to last us until the next holiday. I remember the first time Memaw Kate let me make her mother's Jam Cake--and her telling me it tasted "just like Momma made it". But this movie wasn't just about the cooking, it was about facing hard times.

I am about to embark on probably the hardest 10 months of my life--PY3 year. And I now have a new motto for this year--NO FEAR! Julie Powell's exuberance for cooking and idolization of Julia Child led her on a journey of self discovery only one other woman could possibly relate to--Julia Child. So here it is, the eve before the start of my PY3 year and all I can say is HAVE NO FEAR. One horrid treatment plan isn't going to kill me. I mean, hello, Julia Child was rejected multiple times before her book was finally published. NO FEAR--Julie Powell completely RUINED a stew that she was going to serve to Julia Child's first publisher. I can do this!! People have done this before me! Every last one of them has survived.

So as I start this new chapter in life I'll have NO FEAR. No fear of failure--I've come this far without failing. No fear of beginning--gotta do it some time. No fear of the unknown--God knows what's going on.

So, that's all I have to say tonight. If you're struggling with a new beginning, have NO FEAR and jump!

PS--For those of you who want to read the blog that inspired the movie, here's the link--http://blogs.salon.com/0001399/

1 comment:

  1. I love this post Em! It's very inspiring and I'm very proud of your determination and courage toward this school year. You are starting the year off on the right foot and you will succeed! Remember your "No Fear" motto on the eve of trx plans due dates and the night before K&C tests and you'll be able to push through anything. You're gonna do great! :)

    ReplyDelete