Church can actually play up the despair aspect of being single. Often I despaired because of what was going on in my church and the way people related to me, not despite it. I think relationships can be exalted to some high place.It kind of hit me that maybe I've elevated having a relationship with a man above having a relationship with Christ. I know that I should be happy being single, and that I should embrace it and enjoy it. But it's hard when 3 of your friends have already gotten married this summer, and 10 more have weddings scheduled this year. I know that I wasn't called to be single for the rest of my life. I have a deep burning passion to be with someone. So why am I still single?? Why are some of my best friends married couples??
I don't envy them, believe me. I enjoy being reminded that I'm "still young" and "don't have kids". But I do want to have that someone I can call and vent to. Someone who'll be emotionally invested in pharmacy school with me. Someone who, when I graduate can say, I was there for your then and I'll be there for you now.
I just want happiness. I know marriages are hard work. I know they aren't always "happily ever after". I know I've MORE THAN LIKELY had my image skewed due to too many fairy tales and watching too many Disney Princesses movies when I was little.
I'm not dogging churches with the above quotation...just saying that sometimes, churches only hurt the problem instead of help. Sometimes, "singles" just need to be "young adults" instead of a "singles" ministry. No one wants to be labeled as a single...even if it is in conjunction with other singles.
I've thought that for awhile too... The "singles" class is never a good thing. God doesn't define us by our marital status and neither should the church. I don't think single people need to think of their lifestyle as a "condition" and that's exactly what a "singles" class does.
ReplyDelete